Skip To ContentSkip To Content
    District Forms and Processes for Schools and Partners

    We know that navigating District processes and systems is often difficult for partners and school staff. Below you will find information on:

    1) Personal Services Contracts
    2) Fingerprinting
    3) Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs)

    An important part of our Department’s work is to simplify and make more transparent the requirements of partners and the process of becoming a partner. We will continue to update this page with any new and relevant information. 

    We are moving towards a point when we will ask that all partners of Seattle Public Schools have a contract, MOU, or site agreement with the District and/or the school with which you are working. Below you will find information on the different types of contracts and agreements, and corresponding forms and requirements.

    Personal Services Contract
    If you are being paid to provide a program or service for students, families, or staff, you must have a Personal Services Contract with Seattle Public Schools.

    In order to execute a Personal Services Contract, the following documents are needed:
    1) Personal Services Contract
    2) IRS W-9 form for your organization
    3) A copy of your Washington State Business License
    4) Employee versus Independent Contractor Classification Checklist (complete sections 1,2, and 3, then return it to the school or district office to complete section 4).
    5) Bargaining Unit Checklist (fill in your organization name and tax ID, then return to school or District staff to complete section 1 and sign)
    6) A certificate of general liability insurance for at least $1 million per occurrence with Seattle Public Schools named as additional insured.
    7) For individuals, a resume or curriculum vitae showing that your education and experience qualify you for the contractor position.

    You may need to provide background check records, depending on what type of service you are providing. This can be done by drafting a brief letter (1-2 sentences) on letterhead describing what form of background check the staff person/people have undergone, including the name of the company. See below for more information on what type of background check is required when.

    Background Checks
    Any individual who has contact with students without another adult in the room at all times must have a national background check in their first year of providing services. In subsequent years they must complete a WATCH check. If your organization has its own systems for completing a fingerprint background check, that is fine. Alternatively, you can use the district's Verified Volunteer system. The cost for this is generally $31 per check, but can vary if you have lived out of state.

    Individuals who are supervised at all times can do the WATCH background check instead (annually).

    Memorandum of Understanding
    If you are offering a program or service free of charge, you must complete a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with your partner school. To get a copy of the latest MOU template, email Rivka Burstein-Stern at

    We will be working to improve our MOU and contracting process to make it more transparent, predictable, and streamlined. We will update this page with new information as soon as we have it.


    If you are interested in volunteering as an individual, not affiliated with another community partner, you must complete the SPS volunteer requirements.  You’ll find details and relevant forms on our volunteer page.

    If you are interested in volunteering with an organization supporting SPS programs and activities, please work directly with the associated community based partner.