Welcome Letter from Principal Bean
Posted: | Updated:
Summary: Start of School Year welcome letter from Principal Bean
I am so excited to start another school year. Our theme at Olympic View this year is to “Re-imagine and to Re-ignite” as we move out of the pandemic and return to a more typical community-based school environment. We want to get back to not only doing what we did in the past to make OV special, but to make it even better and responsive to the needs of our entire community.
This is the beginning of my 7th year at Olympic View. I have spent the last 22 years in Seattle Public Schools. I taught elementary school (third and fourth grade) at Fairmount Park and West Seattle Elementary. In 2009, I became the Assistant Principal at View Ridge Elementary. I grew up in Montana and went to high school on Vashon Island. I graduated from Gonzaga University (Go Zags!) in 1994 and got my master’s degree in teaching from UW in 1999. I have 3 amazing children. My oldest daughter Madeline is starting high school this year, and I have twins (Milo and Hazel) who are beginning fourth grade this year.
- Tuesday, September 6 – PTA sponsored ice cream social on the playground (5:30-6:30)
- Wednesday, September 7 – First Day of School (Note: Kindergarten families will be having their Family Connections meetings with teachers this first week of school) Unlike other Wednesdays, this is a full day of school)
- Monday, September 12 – First Day of Kindergarten
- Friday, September 17 – Eagle Parade at 8:15
- Thursday, September 29 – Back to School Night (more information to come)
Classroom Assignments: We know all of you are eager to know your student’s teacher assignment. The Source will open on Thursday, September 1 and at that time you will be able to see this information. Teachers will also be sending out a welcoming email!
This year instead of having families purchase supplies individually, the PTA has purchased all supplies in bulk and is asking for a small fee to cover the cost of supplies. This will save families money and will ensure that all students are getting the same materials.
- 7:55 am school starts (Please do not drop off students before 7:40 am as there is no supervision. (There is no official tardy bell but students will be counted tardy after 8:00)
- 2:25 school ends (Wednesday early release is at 1:10, except for the first day of school.)
Free Breakfast/Lunch for entire school: Because we are a Title 1 school, all students are eligible to receive free meals! No paperwork is needed.
Covid Updates: The district will be communicating the district’s COVID response plan. Here is what I know.
- The school will be open to visitors and volunteers. Volunteers will need to prove they are vaccinated, but not visitors.
- We will continue to have a protected health room where students with COVID symptoms will be isolated.
- We will continue to test on site.
- A positive test will require a 5-day isolation period.
- We will no longer be communicating to families about exposures, but families will have real-time access to the schools data dashboard. The system has been improved so that there should no longer be any lags.
- Masks will continue to be encouraged.
- We will begin having in-school events such as assemblies, PTA after-school enrichment, etc.
- We will no longer have outdoor lunch and all students will eat in the cafeteria.
Staffing Updates: I am so excited about so many of our new additions to the OV community!
- Jaime Huynh-Kindergarten
- Joyce Cho-Counselor
- Olivia Helbach-Music
- Austin Beard-Special Education Instructional Assistant
- Nancy Mejia-Valdez-Multi-Language Learner Instructional Assistant
- Amy Haberman-Nurse
- Desiree Michel-Speech and Language Pathologist